Dog killed Friday in accidental Topeka garage fire that did $25,000 in damage

A fire was reported at around 3:30 a.m. Friday at 330 S.E. Kouns, which sits between Eastborough and Rice parks. (Google Maps)

A dog was killed in an accidental garage fire on Friday morning in East Topeka that did about $25,000 in damage.

 

The fire was reported at around 3:30 a.m. at 330 S.E. Kouns, which sits between Eastborough and Rice parks.

When crews arrived on the call, they found a fully-involved, detached one-story frame garage fire.

Fire crews extinguished the fire, keeping it contained to the structure of origin.

The cause of the fire was found to be associated with a wood-burning stove within the garage.

No working smoke alarms were found within the structure.

Of the damage, $5,000 was in structural damage, and $20,000 was in content loss.

The department had three engine companies, three truck companies, two chief officers, a rehab unit due to weather conditions, and an investigator.

Westar Energy also had a crew on scene.

TopTankTickets
 

More

Thu, 01/18/2018 - 04:42

Topeka weather for Thursday, Jan. 18 2018: Warmer weather on the way

Look for warmer weather over the next few days and through the weekend, as highs in the 40s and 50s are expected... Read more