Topeka man found dead after 16-hour standoff with police had a criminal history

Juan Lucio, the 33-year-old Topeka man identified as the deceased male who died in an East Topeka town house following a 16-hour standoff with law enforcement officers on Friday had a criminal history.

Juan Lucio, the 33-year-old Topeka man identified as the man who died in an East Topeka town house after a 16-hour standoff with law enforcement officers Friday, had a criminal history.


According to the Kansas Department of Corrections, Lucio was released from the state correctional system in September after serving more than six years in prison for several felonies — for which he pleaded no contest — including aggravated robbery and aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer more than seven years ago.

Archives of The Topeka Capital-Journal show Lucio was shot by Topeka police in June 2011 after he wielded a firearm at an officer following a car chase.

Shortly after 10 p.m. Dec. 5, 2010, Lucio was shot by officer Edward Stanley after exiting a stolen car at S.E. 5th and Locust in East Topeka. Lucio previously admitted in court to pointing an assault rifle at the pursuing officer.

Police officers attempted to stop a car, which was stolen during a home invasion two blocks away at S.E. 4th and Lafayette. The robbery also occurred Dec. 5, prosecutors said, when a woman was held up at gunpoint.

Stanley was cleared of any wrongdoing in the shooting.

After he suffered gunshot wounds to his abdomen, Lucio remained hospitalized for most of December before he was booked into the Shawnee County Department of Corrections.

In April 2011, the city of Topeka received a claim from Stormont-Vail HealthCare seeking nearly $200,000 for the hospital treatment of Lucio.

Assistant city attorney Ken Benjamin at the time recommended the city council deny the claim and not pay Stormont Vail.

According to a city council document, Benjamin said Lucio “was taken to the emergency room at Stormont-Vail HealthCare, where he underwent two surgeries for transverse colon and left lobe liver resections. Because of the normal healing process being complicated by multiple infections, the patient remained in the hospital for 23 days, until Dec. 28, 2010.”

Benjamin wrote that Shawnee County would be the appropriate entity for Stormont Vail to send the bill to, because the man was charged with state law violations and not city infractions. He indicated that if the city were to agree to pay the claim, it would only be required to pay the statutory Medicaid rate of $29,221.97. He also wrote that Kansas law requires a law enforcement agency to pay a health care provider for services rendered to people in their custody, with the payment amount being the lesser of the figures from the actual amount billed or the Medicaid rate.

The city ultimately didn’t pay the claim.

At the time of the December 2010 incident, Lucio had recently been released from prison and was on parole after serving time for drug crime convictions. He was sentenced Oct. 8, 2004, for the sale of narcotic drugs. He was again sentenced Oct. 2, 2009, for the possession of narcotic drugs.

Lucio, along with a female who has yet to be identified, was found dead on Friday in an apartment in the Eastgate Townhomes near the northeast corner of S.E. 7th and Brookside in East Topeka after a 16-hour standoff with police.

Officers were called shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday to the town house at 3528 S.E. 7th after a woman was reported to have been shot. Police said the officers saw a woman was down, but they weren’t able to enter the house or check the extent of the woman’s injuries because shots were being fired at them.

When police ultimately entered the town house about 1:40 p.m. Friday, they found the bodies of a man and woman inside. One was located on the first floor, and the other was on the upper floor, Lt. Colleen Stuart said, adding that officers didn’t fire any shots during the standoff.

Stuart said she didn’t know whether Lucio’s death was a suicide, and that a police investigation and an examination by the Shawnee County coroner would determine his cause of death.


Contact reporter Angela Deines at (785) 295-1143 or @AngelaDeines on Twitter.