TFD: Fire Monday at southwest Topeka town house accidental

No injuries reported

Crews were called Monday afternoon to a town house fire in southwest Topeka that was later determined to be an accident.


The blaze was reported about 1:30 p.m. in the 5000 block of S.W. 28th., just east of S.W. 28th and Fairlawn.

Upon arrival, crews found the two-story, multi-unit complex with heavy smoke and flames showing. Heavy smoke could be seen from Interstate 470, several miles away, but crews were able to quickly extinguish flames.

Firefighters completed a primary and secondary search for occupants, the Topeka Fire Department said Monday evening in a news release. The structure was occupied by several tenants, but crews were able to assist them all with evacuation. No injuries were reported.

By 2:20 p.m., crews were investigating. A preliminary investigation indicates the fire was accidental and associated with a portable heating source that was too close to combustible materials in a garage.

The blaze caused an estimated $80,000 in damage. Of that, $40,000 was damage to the structure, $20,000 was in content loss and $20,000 was damage to two vehicles.

Three units were deemed inhabitable for the night, TFD said, and assistance was being provided for the displaced tenants.