At Home: Pot filler faucets typically installed at stovetop

Fixtures also add interest to cooking area

Q: Dear Ed, I am a serious home chef and finally have a chance to remodel my kitchen. Because of a tight budget, I want to get the best bang for my buck. I’m thinking of installing a pot filler faucet and know this dedicated fixture will be a high-end item. Do you have any other suggestions to make my stovetop cooking prep a little easier while still being a little more practical?


— Betty, Michigan

A: First, I’ll mention that pot filler faucets are tall swinging cold water faucets that usually are installed at the stovetop. This setup lets you quickly fill cooking pots with water right on or near the stovetop itself.

While convenient, the decorative aspect of a pot filler faucet should not be overlooked. That’s part of the fun.

Now, if you want to explore other options in place of a dedicated pot filler, here’s a suggestion. I’ve seen homeowners install a small prep sink with a tall arching faucet near the stovetop. This way you get all the advantages of a prep sink plus a water source close to the stovetop.

Either way, you’ll be spending a little extra, but that’s what happens when you cook up a high-end plan for your new kitchen.

Master contractor/plumber Ed Del Grande is known internationally as the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call,” the host of TV and Internet shows, and a LEED green associate. Visit or write